Sunday, March 22, 2015

7 Days of WrestleMania: Day 1

I know it may not feel like it to some, but we're a week away from WrestleMania. I got the idea to do a sort of countdown to Mania, taking some of the things I love most about WWE's biggest show and explaining them. To avoid confusion, I'm going to explain exactly what I'm doing: for this first installment, I will be naming my seven favorite WrestleMania attires. Then, I'll do six of something and so far and so forth, all the way until WrestleMania Sunday. (I know it's technically Monday morning right now, so two of these will be posted today). 

With no further ado, I present my seven favorite WrestleMania attires. Feel free to tweet me your personal favorites (@SaveUsY2Jake) or leave a comment. 

Honorable Mention - Rey Mysterio (WrestleMania 25)
Mysterio's series of superhero WrestleMania attires featured a lot of aesthetically pleasing gear, but none that I personally appreciated more than his tribute to Heath Ledger's Joker at the 25th Anniversary. I would say it's a shame we never got Mysterio in Bane attire, but then again he's not a big guy.

Honorable Mention - Daniel Bryan (WrestleMania 30)
This probably shouldn't even count because it was really just his normal gear, but I just pop so hard whenever I see those Bruiser Brody boots. Plus, his regular gear is good enough as it is.

Honorable Mention - Edge (WrestleMania 22)
It was simple enough, but it just felt right for the brutal hardcore match he had with Mick Foley. Everything down to the mechanic shirt made him feel like he could hang with The Hardcore Legend, and the logo on the leg of the pants was just enough to make Edge seem brash and arrogant. Plus, Lita's boobs.

Honorable Mention - Bray Wyatt (WrestleMania 30)
I can't put this one on the regular list because it was just too similar to what he wears every week, but the entrance jacket and WrestleMania aura created such a creepy vibe that Bray carried throughout the entire match with Cena that it was impossible for me to not at least mention it. Can't wait to see what he pulls out this year for his meeting with The Undertaker.

#7 - Rob Van Dam (WrestleMania 23)
I could probably do an entire post dedicated to RVD's singlets, but as far as the ones he wore at WrestleMania are concerned, this has to be my favorite. The strangeness of the design fit his character, and the blended red and black stripes are really pleasing to look at. Unfortunately, he wore this for the blowoff of the New Breed vs ECW Originals feud. Yikes.

#6 - Razor Ramon (WrestleMania 11)
I'm a big fan of blue and yellow as a color scheme, and I'm also a big fan of Razor Ramon's attires. The font on the trunks and the Razor logos on his gear are always fantastic, especially when combined with such a great combination of colors. Somehow, his Razor attires weren't as good as his nWo attires were. It's a shame his shitty son is wearing those now.

#5 - Macho Man Randy Savage (WrestleMania 7)
Macho Man always had the best ring gear, but the streaks of purple design in the clean white tights was a great look. It gets extra points because it came in a time when special WrestleMania attires weren't really a thing. ALL HAIL THE MACHO KING. OOOOH YEAHHHH

#4 - Kurt Angle (WrestleMania 18)
Kurt Angle's 'Murica singlet game was always on point. And while he did pull out a few gems for WrestleMania, I couldn't think of any that looked better than the black-and-freedom combo he broke out for his match with Kane in Toronto. It was a color scheme that he doesn't use often, and it worked perfectly. It's true, it's damn true. (Sorry)

#3 - Chris Jericho (WrestleMania 18)
Nothing makes someone quite as cunty as mismatched attire. Putting a SPARKLY GOD DAMN PINK AND SILVER SHIRT on top of GREEN FUCKIN TIGHTS not only helped Chris Jericho's innately hate-able 2002 persona, but it also just looked cool, like the rockstar he really is. Oh, and shoutout to Stephanie's attire. She's still the best.

#2 - Kane (WrestleMania 2000)
There are a lot of things Kane doesn't get enough credit for. Among these things is his attire game. SO strong. I am a big fan of the regular red-and-black, but flipping the colors and going with only one sleeve turned it from like an 8/10 to a straight up 10/10. I could've probably given an honorable mention to Paul Bearer's blazer as well.

#1 - Shawn Michaels (WrestleMania 25)
If I hadn't decided beforehand that I wouldn't use the same wrestler more than once, this list would probably have 2 or 3 HBK attires. But when I had to decide which one I liked the best, there's no way I couldn't choose the one he wore against Undertaker the first time. Not only did it fit the circumstances of the match and the feud, but it just looked incredible. The angelic entrance and the unique colors really went a long way to develop the aesthetic for what turned out to be my 2nd favorite WrestleMania match of all time. (Number one also involves Shawn Michaels). They call him Mr. WrestleMania for a reason.





No comments:

Post a Comment